Wednesday 27 November 2013

Response to Feedback

The feedback from my presentation showed me that my media product has the potential to actually work, but that I need to do some more research into media theories and audience demographics for my singer as this is something that my presentation was lacking. So in this blog post I am going to research some of the things that should have been included.

There are 3 questions that should be considered when looking at audience theories, these are:
1.) Why do audiences choose to consume certain texts?
2.) How do they consume texts?
3.) What happens when they consume texts?
And there are 3 theories of audience that my help my coursework:
1.) The Hypodermic Needle
2.) Uses and Gratifications
3.) Reception Theory
However, only one of these theories applies to my coursework focus and that is the Uses and Gratifications theory.

The Uses and Gratifications theory assumes that the audience is an active audience and is concerned with why people consume media texts, and what they do with these media texts. This theory suggests that people's needs influence how they use and respond to the media. Blumler and Katz identified 4 reasons for using a media text:
1.) Diversion - Escape from their issues
2.) Personal Relationships - Use for interaction
3.) Personal Identity - Learn behaviour and values from the texts
4,) Surveillance - Useful information
This theory does apply to my media coursework as people may have a need for new music, or may like folk music so will go looking for this to fulfil their needs. They may listen to my singer's music to escape from their issues or they may be able to relate to the lyrics that she sings about.

Something else that was missing from my presentation was the demographic classification of my media product and the primary and secondary audiences too.
Looking at my research I can see that my media product would appeal to people in the social grades of A-C1 and maybe C2. This is because not many people know about this genre of music and so these artists tend not to release music as often as other artists that are quite mainstream. Therefore making it cost more when it is released. Also these artists tend to do a lot live gigs and festivals which do cost a lot of money. So the people in these social grades would be able to afford this.
The primary audience for my singer would be the people of these social classes and people around the ages of 16 and 20 as they can relate to the singer's age, and maybe be able to relate more to her lyrics. And the secondary audience for this media product would be either their friends or their families who may be around when they are listening to this music.

No comments:

Post a Comment